Friday, December 01, 2006

the end of the road...

I am leaving tomorrow. I can hardly believe it. My short sejour which during the long days drove me nuts yet gave me so much joke during the good ones is at an end. What have I learned from this French West Indian island?

1) Always have Martinique stamped on your clothes in some shape or form! This can be achieved by wearing Martinique shirts which go for 25 euros each. It ensures your integration into an island in which the postal code of Martinique, 972 represents the island better than its actual telephone code, 596.

2) If you are a woman, don't even try and roll with the boys because you will be seen as a 'salope' faster than Marion Jones can run in the Olympic Games. Further advice to women: don't wear high heels on campus unless you want to be stared at as if you are Thierry Henry's girlfriend.

3) The only anthem that can be blasted from your car stereo here is Chamillionaire's 'Rollin' so if you even have a different taste of music to that genre, cancel your ticket to Fort-de-France!

Don't take any of the above too seriously lol. I am feeling very wistful and nervous about leaving my island. It has become ingrained in me already but I know it is time to leave. I am going to Barbados for the weekend then back to Bristol to commence preparations for Paris because non-immigrant aliens like me lol have to suffer for those visas!

The name of this blog will change once I arrive in Paris but as for now, it will change into my own presonal blog with what is going on in the life of a student trying to learn the impossible language that is French. England is sure to have many crazy stories so keep your eyes on this page...

I don't want to reflect on leaving Martinique as I feel so sad but leaving this place means those who want pictures will see them soon...if they are lucky.

World Aids Day -- Keep fighting.

A