Saturday, October 28, 2006

keep on...

News escalates here in ways you cannot imagine! Apparently 2 years ago, there were only 2 foreign students who came to the uni on an exchange -- they were interviewed on local radio! My friend and I were at a bookshop in Fort-de-France trying to see how many actual English magazines we could find, whilst we spoke, a man sharply turned and stared me out. I politely said "Bonjour" and he replied but still confused as to why he heard English. That was a few days ago... I finally made my way up to Saint Pierre (Beautiful town full of ruins from volcanic eruption) and it was a relaxed day full of walking around and taking in the sights or so I thought. I was looking for the area where the minivans to go back to Fort-de-France were but was walking around like an old woman, searching with no luck. Then I hear a man shouting at me, I take my headphones out and see the same man from the bookshop! He was in a car, trying to coax me to come in with him. I politely declined and asked him if he knew where the minivan stand was but of course he didnt anwser the question and continued to ask if he could get to "know" me. I again politely declined and he told me he could take me to FdF. Do men here think women were born yesterday? This type of chirpsing happens everywhere but it is unnerving how older men prey on young women with hungry, searching eyes...feminists, form an alliance please lol!

Term ends on the 27th of November and next week it is Toussaint (All Souls Day) so it is a holiday on the 1st and 2nd of November. I cannot believe how fast the days are going, it feels like one big blur but chaos shall descend on me soon enough once I leave this island because it means suffering to try and get a French visa for Paris in February!

Those Martinique pictures will arrive...one day!

~A