Saturday, September 09, 2006

disturbed...

I am a passionate lover of fashion. So that is not entirely new in a young woman but for me, it isn't just buying clothes in your local shopping centre, I simply love studying clothes on people whether it is in magazines or the street and seeing how they define people. What you wear most of the time defines who you are. If you like something, you'll put it on. Now, that brings me onto my point of being disturbed by the state of mainstream fashion today. I was flicking through my monthly supply of fashion magazines (annoyed at how the fashion spreads are just completely lacking these days) when I saw this advert:

Alberta Ferretti is a female Italian fashion designer who shows at Milan Fashion Week. This is an editorial advert for her Autumn/Winter line (I believe). I am extremely disgusted at this advertistment; the black model has her back faced to the reader whilst all the white models are facing the vieweralbeit for the 4 who are masked, including the black one!) Now, I am not a professional analyser for fashion but this advert reeks race. It is interesting that they chose to have a black model with her back to us but yet it is so relevant in an ironic way; black models are few and far in between with the exceptions not given as much editorial work simply because their dark skin does not appeal to the mainstream. Is Ferreti making a personal statement, by trying to shock the fashion industry with her constrasting use of black and white in print ? I would have to disagree. The black model here looks like she is blending into the background, unimportant and as usual, the fashion industry does not believe that a black model can carry an editorial all by herself, she has to be accompanied. And for me, that is why this advert's stench of race is too much; using the black woman as a canvas to sell clothes to white women is not PC but in the fashion industry, there are clearly different rules...

On a cheerier note, Happy Birthday Mr.P ~ hope you have a great day!

~A