Tuesday, October 24, 2006

just laugh...

Mq is just a cornucopia of pseudo-sarcastic jokes - case in point yesterday night: I have become pretty good friends with this brilliant Guadelupian girl. She is hilarious and always gives me a knock when she is around my halls. She came over yesterday for a chinwag and when I saw her in the corridor, I greeted her and this complete idiot boy came around the corner and mimicked how i said 'salut, ça va' to her. He knows I dont speak French and he knows I am a foreign student and I have been nothing but nice to this little wannabe thug gangster. I know how stupid it sounds because he is the immature one but I thought I escaped pathetic boys when I was 14 but mq has proved me wrong! The majority of students are sad like that because they think it is funny to rip the shit out of someone. It made me feel like an idiot because I have only been here a month and it has taken some adjusting to trying to speak this language when I have Swahili, my native language and English swarming around in my head. My question from this is where have all the mature MEN gone in this campus?

I went to Fort-de-France today to see if I can get this picky head of mine done and my days, it is expensive to get your hair braided or weaved up here ladies! Just buying human hair is 20 euros and getting a weave done is 80 euros for a full head so already you are probably spending 130 euros which is about £100 ($200) for hair! I miss the days of being in Bristol and P doing my hair for free!

On a good note, I met some cool Haitian people last week after this nice girl braided my hair. Really laid back and intelligent people not obsessed with image and I was pleased that some people actually wanted to talk 2 me and not give me quizzical looks like I wasnt cute enough 4 them !

I am not really into the beach scene and Mq's beaches are okay but the ones on the indian ocean are better lol. I am planning to go to Saint Pierre this weekend - it used to be Mq's old capital but a volcanic eruption in 1902 killed everyone in the town except for a 1 person, a convict who was protected from the lava by his cell. It apparently has an eerie and mysterious feel to it so that sounds interesting. I also got my cultural sugar high last Friday when I found this brilliant musuem of ethnography in Fort-de-France -- enriching information about an island that appears shallow but beyond the pseudo thug wannabes, it does have an interesting sheath of worthwhile information.

The scene is getting brighter and I have found nice diversions however there is always that calm before the storm as they say...

~A