Monday, November 06, 2006

it is all kicking off like the world cup final!

Surviving as a girl in Martinique is hard work! The men and their pervy stares and how the older women watch your every move like a hawk. Yet the most unnerving part of being a girl here is interaction with your fellow female peers. Case in point: a few weeks back, my friend and i were looking for a classroom that didnt exist! (The campus looks like an abandoned construction site). When a cleaner was telling me how to try and find this phantom room, a girl bumped into me and i turned and said "Pardon" - she then gave me her best "i'm badder than you so you better respect me and not bump into me stare". It was pretty average but the message was clear: don't try and mess with me. I do not understand behaviour like this for one simple reason: why do strangers try people that they dont know? Girls in general love doing this because it is all about superiority and not getting left behind so you have to assert yourself. I went to an all girls school for 7 years so I am aware of the bitchy stares and attitudes. I watched her back and that was that but it got me thinking about why most girls tear each other to pieces simply with their eyes. Is it because we are insecure or is it because we don't want anyone to take the piss out of us? I'd appreciate thoughts on this from the girls and the boys too...

Another funny note about the pseudo-gangster personalities here: there was a party on campus and of course, people were grinding and having a good time in a small space where 'zouk' music was being played. Some guy accidentally bumped into this one guy and the other guy pulled out a knife to shank him! Wtf! It is a campus party, you KNOB! The party was stopped of course but the boy remained defiant, thinking that he was being taken the piss out of or whatever. I was told this story by a good friend and it made me think: is life all about image or does immaturity of boys such as this ensure that people's fun is ruined?

My time in mq is almost over people! Term ends on the 27th so time is now limited...but so much hype happens in a week here so I am sure the news will keep flowing before I fly back.

~A