Thursday, October 05, 2006

foreigners beware...

Being 6000 kms away from my family in England and Tanzania means that me and French telephone boxes have become best friends -- no joke. I have been on the phone so much that my ear has become part of the receiver and it isn't because I am homesick, it is more like the amount of stories that happen each day just get too much!

Here are some questions I would love someone to answer so get your brains in gear and I'll award phrases of merit and distinction for the best answers:

1° - I am the phone talking to my girl in London and there is no doubt that me and her become loud and feisty when we share our stories. The Marts in the corridor death stare me then purposefully talk over me and start saying 'yes' loudly just to counter me...I know that you are already agreeing how pathetic it sounds because I couldnt believe it myself. So the question is why do people feel the need to try and suppress you if they think you don't fit the mould? Later on, I learn that apparently women here do not speak loudly because it is not done thing. Anyone else got better answers because when I was told that I had to laugh -- no one tells me what to do and if I want to speak loud so be it, it is a public area and my little voice was being drowned out by Marts anyway ! As pathetic as all this sounds, it is the norm in halls here.

2° - Why do some boys think that by blatantly ignoring you that you will then feel the need to speak to them? I am not paranoid, trustb me but one guy did that to me the other day when he knew I was foreign and I was talking to my English friend in the corridor so he comes and steps right next to me and speaks over my head like I am a tiny column part of the furniture.
Get those answers people cos it makes me speechless at how nursery the people are here!

3° - Jules, remember you saying about how black americans were taken the piss out of in Barbados, well here most Mart boys idolise a dichotomy of the stereotypical black american image that is associated with rap. When we were on the beach, some boys started to chirpse my friends and when they saw that they werent having it, one of the dropped a gun and wrapped it up in an American flag -- again, the way people here are so fake and pretenders is unbelievable! On my way to church one sunday, I saw this car that had fake bullet holes painted on it. That just highlights the essence of the typical Mart boy here -- globalisation or does this department of France want to create its own identity ?

There is a strike going on so lessons have been cancelled today. I have so many stories about people but so far today's post is focusing on the boys of this island because they really have to be seen to be believed.

Keep your eyes open for those pictures!

~A