Saturday, September 02, 2006

are you trying to patronise me?

People make me laugh when they think they have one up on you. I am sure you know what I mean; it can range from that smug look that gleams from their face to the pseudo-sly comments that they utter hoping to pierce you in some way.

Scenario that happened yesterday: So I am just explaining this visa issue as he asks why I am not there yet.

Him: Because you are Tanzanian?
Me: Apparently so...
Him: I bet that's the first time you have had a visa refused in your life...
Me: No, not really
Him: (chuckles sarcastically)

That man thinks I am a spoilt, selfish and over-privileged girl who has everything done for her; at the end of the day, continue thinking that because that comment of yours won't make me cower in the background but it does raise one interesting question -- why do some people have hostility towards other people just because they have the wrong impression of them? So what if they have had a different childhood to yours -- does that mean you are better than them because you feel that they are spoilt and don't know struggle like you? Is the definition of struggle universal and same for everyone? Conversations like the one above used to prick me and I would agonise over that shit for hours when I was younger - it proper tormented me but then I realised that people will always project their insecurities and issues onto you. It is just best to bounce them back -- afterwards, I just ignored his following comments, after all, silence is the best weapon.

~A