Thursday, August 17, 2006

Identity

Why of why do people who do not know you try and label you? We live in such a categorical world but it is a shame. I don't understand why some people just cannot quit in judging peolpe and trying to make them feel inferior and simply to get a rise out of them. What is the point in that? Why don't you just worry about your own business and make that cushy instead of mine? Someone answer this riddle for me please!

I wrote this poem, just out of a whim, it isn't personal as such or it could be. I'd like to hear some opinions on it if anyone reads it (I dont have a name for it yet):

In their mouths, sambo and bounty exist as air does
the sharpness of these words pricks me, the emotional pain
of the insult hurting more than the blood and ever-present as the scar.

In their minds, I hate our sepia skin and crave the flesh of the opposite
In their hearts, they think I am a copycat, on the prowl for someone else's culture
In their eyes, I have many names: uncle tom.wannabe.
So many labels...yet only one name represents me: Black

Blogger is so annoying btw!

~A