Saturday, August 05, 2006

Postcards...

When I told a relative about how I was going to write a blog for the year abroad, that person wondered why I was writing it now since I had not yet gotten there. As I explained that I was trying to build anticipation and vent about how I was feeling about it, the person still just...did not understand. In the hope of creating understanding, I informed the human being that it was to document my preparations for it, the person replied by saying that it looked like a postcard... So much for support but it seems like sarcasm & bite is the cocktail du jour amongst blood relatives these days! I may not be fluent in HTML but this isn't a damn postcard thank you very much; it is just an attempt to try and reach out to people who are in the same situation as me, people who are terrified and excited about going to a foreign country and live there. The last thing I need to hear is about how the graphics aren't exactly great -- is that person trying to hint that I should leave university and start designing postcards for Borders and Waterstones?

Families can bring so much joke and confusion in one intense conversation; sometimes I wonder if in some hypothetical world where reproduction does not exist and families ties are invisible, would we actually like the members of our family? Cynical, maybe and off-topic from Martinique, definitely but the words I heard from that person have my brain going into over-drive.